Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ma Bell, I Got the Ill Communication

I don't get excited about much anymore. I mean, why bother? I'm excited about the next Harry Potter movie (shut it) but after two and a half hours in a dark theater, it's gone. Not literally, but the mystique is gone. Ten years and eight movies have boiled down to little more than temporary escapism in my book. I remember watching Katie Couric do a special on the first movie when it came out (I was 13 at the time) and I was all caught up in the wonder and excitement of Potter-mania (and pubes) and I forced my dad to take me to the first Saturday matinee showing at our local theater (a crumbling Regal Cinemas).

Off topic, but I owe my dad approximately $900 in restitution and damages for making him sit through Gay Batman. Seriously, some of the movies I made him sit through...Jesus Christ.

Anyway, I just remember being so excited about seeing the Quidditch and the other magic shit and it was all fantastic. Life was great. After skipping films two through four I'm completely lost but hey, I'll always remember that first movie. And naked Hermione from the last flick.

A quick aside- If I was ever going to get arrested for public lewdness, it would've been for naked Hermione.

Now, I just don't care. Nothing gets me excited. Until I saw this. And heard that.


The Beastie Boys have a new song, a new album, and some rocking new cover art. And I jizzed in my pants just a bit.

A new Beastie Boys album for me is like a new child for the Duggars- I just feel comfortable knowing there's more of them. I don't know what it is about the Beastie Boys that I love so much. It's not that they're white (but in case you were wondering, they are indeed white gentlemen). It's not that they're particularly lyrical. And it's been a long-ass time since they were a near-novelty act with Fight For Your Right and Paul Revere.

I think it's just because whenever I hear Sabotage, I want to break shit. When I hear Intergalactic, I want to do the Robot. When I hear Ch-Check It Out, I'm a junior in high school. So I guess, to sum it up, when I hear the Beastie Boys, I feel something. Something nostalgic. And I guess I just get excited to think about a time in my life when I knew what excitement was like.

MOVIE TIME!!!!!!!

I decided at the end of these blogs, I'm going to recommend a movie and a song that I want you to watch and listen to because I wouldn't lie to you. It's worth it. They may not be new, but they're new to me, and presumably new to you. And this weeks film is.......
Saw this last night. Figured it to be Flowers For Algernon with a handsome fella. Turns out I was right except Bradley Cooper did not play a retard and there was no mouse. However, he does take a pill that makes him super intelligent, and there are consequences, and Robert De Niro is still continuing his streak of being completely unaware he's still making motion pictures. All in all, I actually enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. I wouldn't spend full admission on it (it was $4 at a local theater), which is the only reason I saw it. So see it for for four bucks. Not a penny more.

SONG TIME!!!!!!!

This song is not new in the least. It's called T.R.O.Y. aka They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth. It's off the album Mecca and the Soul Brother (sound familiar?) and I love this song more than most of my family members. First time I heard the instrumental was on NBA Street Vol. 2 (back in 2003) and I fell in love with the damn thing. Give it a listen. Quite possibly my favorite song of all-time, the samples, the production, the lyrics...all just perfect.


Enjoy the Internet. Until next time.


1 comment:

  1. I'm excited you started a new blog! I jammed to this song as I got ready for another day at Walmart. Now that's something to be excited about!

    ReplyDelete